Avast Review – Avast Endpoint Protection includes a central web-based Avast Enterprise Administration which is founded on a SQL database that may serve as data storage for that policies, security settings and client information. If you opt to utilize SQL Express option during installing Avast Enterprise Administration, it’ll instantly download, install and configure Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express inside your machine. But you may have to set up SQL Server individually to own, for example, advanced charge of its setup configuration. In cases like this you have to install SQL Server right before Avast Enterprise Administration. This article demonstrate through the whole process of standalone installation and configuration of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express, so that you can put it to use together with Avast Enterprise Administration.
Before you begin to install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express, ensure that:
- You are logged in to Windows with administrator permissions.
- All other programs in Windows are closed.
- Your previous antivirus software is fully uninstalled.
- Microsoft Windows Installer 4.5 (or later) is installed; it is needed to install and run Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express. You may download it from the Microsoft website.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (or later) is installed; it is needed to install and run Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express. You may download it from the Microsoft website.
- Microsoft Windows PowerShell 1.0 (or later) is installed; it is needed to install and run Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express. You may download it from the Microsoft website and install it on your machine.
Follow these steps to install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express for Avast Enterprise Administration :
- Download Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Tools from the Microsoft website and save it to your machine (
SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exefor 64-bit editions of Windows,
SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exefor 32-bit editions of Windows).
- Run the downloaded setup file
SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exeif 32-bit Windows edition is used). If you are logged in as a user with administrator permissions, right-click on the setup file and choose Run as administrator from the context menu.
- From the menu on the left side of the SQL Server Installation Center screen select Planning and then click System Configuration Checker on the right.
- The System Configuration Checker verifies if your machine meets minimum system requirements to install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express.
If an error or warning message is displayed, please check the prerequisites mentioned above or refer to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 documentation on Microsoft website for further instructions to fix the issue:
- After verification, i.e. without any errors or warnings, select Installation from the menu on the left and then New installation or add features to an existing installation on the right. The setup checks your configuration again.
- On the License Terms screen, read the license agreement and tick the checkbox I accept the license terms. Click Next.
- When Setup Support Files are installed and the Feature selection screen appears, we recommend to leave all default features selected if possible, and click Next. (Or, at least select Database Engine Services with SQL Server Replication and Management Tools – Basic. Change the shared feature directory only if necessary.)
- On the Instance Configuration screen, select Default instance to automatically use
MSSQLSERVERfor the instance of SQL Server in both the Named instance and Instance ID fields. Then click Next.
- On the Server Configuration screen, change the Account Name for SQL Server Database Engine to
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM, and change Startup Type for SQL Server Browser to Automatic. Click Next.
- On the Database Engine Configuration screen, select Mixed Mode (SQL Server authentication and Windows authentication) to enter and confirm a password for the SA account. Click Add… and specify the group that will have unrestricted access to SQL Server. (You should add at least Administrator.) Click Next and Next again to begin installation.
- After installation is complete click Close to exit SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup.
Restart your machine and then proceed with the installation of Avast Enterprise Administration.
Important : When asked, choose Use full MS SQL Server to bypass automatic download and installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express and to configure Avast Enterprise Administration with the existing SQL Server instance.
For details to install Avast Enterprise Administration please read the following article:
Additional configuration of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express to allow remote connection with Avast Enterprise Administration
To connect Avast Enterprise Administration to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express remotely from another machine, you must configure the following:
- Enable TCP/IP protocol in the network options of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express (it is disabled by default):
- Create exceptions in your firewall, if any is used, to allow access for SQL Server and SQL Browser. These services are located in the following folders by default :
- The SQL Server service:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.10\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe
- The SQL Browser service:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlbrowser.exe
- The SQL Server service:
For further instructions reference your firewall vendor’s documentation. If you using Windows Firewall, you may see the documentation on Microsoft’s website :
You can then configure Avast Enterprise Administration during installation to connect with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express remotely from another machine.
For detailed instructions to install Avast Enterprise Administration read the following article:Avast Enterprise Administration, Avast Free Antivirus