Avast Review – Avast Enterprise Administration is really a desktop console which manages Avast Endpoint Protection clients. Avast Enterprise Administration is appropriate for complex computer and/or server networks associated with a size. It provides hierarchical grouping of Avast Endpoint Protection clients (managed clients) inside a tree structure, which may be in line with the geographical or business structure from the network. Administrative access legal rights and policies could be configured individually for every group.
Key features include:
- Discovery of new and unsecured machines on the company network
- Remote deployment and management of Avast Endpoint Protection clients (managed clients)
- Incremental updates on networked computers and/or servers, even in multiple domains
- Real-time, customizable alerts about activity on the company network
- Scan scheduling
- Graphical and tabular reports
Minimum System Requirements
Note : Avast Enterprise Administration is not supported (is not compatible, cannot be installed and does not run) on DOS, Microsoft Windows 3.x, Microsoft Windows NT 3.x, Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows ME, Microsoft Windows 2000, or any other operating system which is not specified as supported.
Follow these steps to install Avast Enterprise Administration :
Before you begin to install Avast Enterprise Administration, ensure that:
- You are logged in to Windows with administrator permissions.
- Your machine is connected to the Internet and the network connection is working properly.
- All other programs in Windows are closed.
- Your previous antivirus software is fully uninstalled.
When all requirements are met, follow these steps :
- Download Setup file
Download the Avast Enterprise Administration setup file from the Avast website for the appropriate edition of Avast Endpoint Protection:
|Program Edition||Download File|
|Avast Endpoint Protection (Basic)||
|Avast Endpoint Protection Plus||
|Avast Endpoint Protection Suite||
|Avast Endpoint Protection Suite Plus||
…and save it to your computer (for example on your Windows Desktop).
- Run Setup
Right-click the downloaded setup file
setup_enterprise_....exe, choose Run as administrator from the context menu,
…and if prompted by the User Account Control dialog for permissions, click Yes (or Continue).
The installation files are copied to your machine.
- Confirm basic information
The Avast Enterprise Administration Setup wizard appears. Select your preferred language and click Next.
On the welcome screen click Next to continue.
Read the introduction and click Next again.
Confirm the terms of the License Agreement by selecting I agree. Click Next to continue.
- Select a Destination directory
Enter the file path, or click the button … on the right and browse for the appropriate folder. Click Next.
- Configure components
Select from the predefined Typical or Minimum options, or select Custom to add or remove individual program components and features. Then click Next to continue.
- Activate a license
Select an option on the License Manager screen :
- Load license file – If you already purchased a license for Avast Endpoint Protection, save the license file License.avastlic(attached to the confirmation e-mail sent after purchase) to your computer. For example, on your Windows Desktop.
Enter the file path to the directory in the License Manager and click Load!,
…or click the button … on the right, and browse for the appropriate folder.
- Demo – Select Demo to download a temporary demo license (requires Internet connection).
Throughout the 30 day demo period you have to purchase and insert a valid license file to continue using the product. For details to insert the license file, browse the following article :
Tick or untick the checkbox Copy the license file to program folder,
…and click OK to apply the selected license type.
- Configure Mirror settings
The Mirror is used to automatically distribute updates to all Avast Endpoint Protection clients (managed clients) on your network. The advantage of using the Mirror is that the updates need to be downloaded only once from the AVAST update server, thus saving you bandwidth.
Specify either to Download mirror files from Internet (i.e. directly from AVAST update server),
…or Download mirror files from another mirror if another mirroring server is established. Specify its Address (e.g.,
192.168.1.100) and Port number (16135 by default).
If you untick the checkbox Generate mirror during installation, a Mirror is automatically created in the background the first time you run Avast Enterprise Administration; or, create it manually using the mirror.exe utility in the installation folder.
Note : To download the Mirror and update via a connection other than specified in your Internet Explorer settings, click Proxy settings, and change the option Auto detect (use Internet Explorer settings) to Direct connection (no proxy),
…or Specify proxy server with all the necessary details, i.e.:
- Type – HTTP or SOCKS v4 protocol.
- Address – IP address or Host Name of your Proxy Server, e.g., 192.168.1.10 or proxy.example.com.
- Port – Port number of your server, e.g., 3128.
- Authentication – Basic Authentication (Plaintext) or Windows integrated authentication (NTLM) if your Proxy Server requires Username and Password.
Click Test connection to verify your settings,
…and then click OK and OK again to confirm the test and apply your changes.
Click Next to continue.
- Configure SQL Server settings
Select the database server to store data for policies, security settings, and Avast Endpoint Protection clients (managed clients) information :
- Use SQL Express (installs on local computer with instance name ‘avast’) – Install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Expresssupplied with Avast Enterprise Administration. Select the appropriate option:
- Generate random strong “sa” account password – if you don’t need to know the password and prefer random and highly secure SA account in supplied Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express.
- Specify custom “sa” account password – if you prefer to use your custom password for SA account in supplied Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express.
For details to install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express separately, read the following article:
- Use full MS SQL Server – Use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 which is already running on your server or remote machine.When you select this option, specify the following details:
- Server name – type the Host Name of your SQL Server, for non-default instance followed by a backslash and the SQL Server Instance Name, i.e.:
- Account – enter your SQL server account with unrestricted access to the database engine (“sa” account is predefined by default).
- Password – enter your password to the SQL server account specified above.
- Create Avast database – clear the checkbox just in case you are connecting an existing database in SQL Server used by some previous instance of Avast Enterprise Administration of exactly the same version, and want to keep all data storage for all the policies, security settings and Avast Endpoint Protection clients (managed clients) information.
Click Next to continue.
- Review Installation information
Check your setup configuration before proceeding with the installation. Use the Back button to return to a previous screen and change the configuration. When configuration is ready, click Next.
The Avast Enterprise Administration Setup wizard displays installation progress,
…and Mirror Creation status if you selected to generate the Mirror during the installation.
- Create Certificate
You are prompted to supply the current certificate for Avast Enterprise Administration Server. Click Generate New…,
…fill in the information to be included in the self-signed certificate, and click Generate.
Note : In case that you already have a backup file with valid certificate for Avast Enterprise Administration Server, you can click Import,
…locate the file with certificate on your machine, and click Open.
- Finish installation
When installation is complete, click Finish to close the Avast Enterprise Administration Setup wizard.
Avast Enterprise Administration is then installed on your machine. Double-click the shortcut icon on your Windows Desktop to open it.Tags: Avast Antivirus, Avast Enterprise Administration